Let Us Surprise You! Factors that Drive Site Selection for Manufacturing
Wednesday, September 04, 2019
Factors that Drive Site Selection for Manufacturing- and How Ottumwa Measures Up!
1) Availability of Suitable Real Estate- Helgerson Flats is a state-certified site with 82 acres of land in Northeast Ottumwa; there is also property near the airport that is ideal for industrial growth. and of course, private property owners are welcome to compete in the marketplace.
2) Potential for economic development incentives- OEDC developed a comprehensive document that includes a wide array of local, regional, and state incentives available for qualifying projects. It can be accessed easily through the website www.ottumwadevelopment.org.
3) Availability of high-quality utility and road infrastructure that meet current and future needs- Alliant Energy is building a new substation in Helgerson Flats, and another south of JBS to accommodate future electrical usage; MidAmerican is building new wind energy resources in South English- just 44 miles from here; City of Ottumwa is undertaking a multi-year water/sewer separation project to accommodate future capacity; at the airport and downtown, there are currently full width, full depth reconstruction projects on the airstrip and downtown streets; and IDOT is submitting a concept for a full reconstruction of US 34 from Wildwood to Vine St as part of its 5 year plan. Lastly, OEDC is seeking grant assisstance from IDOT to determine the feasibilit of relocating a rail spur out of downtown to a more industrial-based location to the east.
4) Access to workers/skills/talent with the necessary capabilities and quality- As mentioned above, OEDC and partner organizations in the region, including Indian Hills Community College, is working in collaboration with the State of Iowa to promote SE Iowa as a destination of choice for work and other life amenities.
5) Access to customers, raw materials, and suppliers- OEDC focuses its business attraction efforts on a solid core of industries whose assets most closely align with those already in the area, including machinery manufacturing, food & beverage processing,
auto supply chain, and transportation & logistics.
For more information on Otuumwa's businesses, quality of place, relocation assistance, please visit www.ottumwadevelopment.org
Category: Economic Development, Manufacturing, Site Selectors, Ottumwa