A Special Message from IowaWORKS
Thursday, October 10, 2019
IowaWORKS is seeking 2 full time members to join their team. Their AmeriCorps Program is searching for service-minded individuals to assist diverse refugee communities in Iowa. You will work with community agencies to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate education, referrals, outreach, and direct services to refugee families in need.
Looking for candidates that have a(n):
- Interest and respect for different cultures with a commitment to social justice
- Ability to communicate effectively in English. Ability to communicate in a language of one of Iowa’s refugee communities is a plus, but not required
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Ability to use a computer for e-mail communication, online reporting (monthly time reports, quarterly impact data), and preparing monthly success stories/reflections
- Experience training or teaching adults, preferably across racial, cultural, class, and gender differences is a plus
Members would 1.) Engage refugee and immigrant community members that enter the center with employment activities 2.) Teach and assist employment workshops or classes 3.) Assist with outreach and community engagement, and 4.) Assist refugee community members with individual employment or training plan development. Anticipated language needs: Karen, Burmese, Chin, Swahili, Arabic
If you know anyone that may be interested in this Americorps 11-month position that has a background with refugee populations, please refer them to IowaWORKS office to apply.
IowaWORKS - a Proud Partner of the American Job Center network
15260 Truman Street